Monday, March 18, 2013

DIY- spray paint mirror

Bear with me, this is my FIRST diy project using spray paint. I have researched YouTube, diy blogs, and a thousand tutorials on how to spray paint furniture. My faux bamboo mirror needed some help so I went to my nearest Lowe's and purchased a few cans of spray paint, primer, and seal coat spray. I REALLY wanted to do a bright vibrant color, but I always lean towards white or black so on my first diy spray paint project I went with a lacquered black and I will hand paint the ridge detail in a gold accent.

 See I modified and added the gold! Crossing fingers this will turn out.

Before pic




The first thing I did was I lightly sanded the mirror where I saw some nicks. I made sure not to do it too hard and I used 120 grit sandpaper. 



After sanding, I damped a clean cloth and wiped the mirror down to make sure there was no debris. Then I taped off the mirror edges with painters tape and covered the center. I had a scrap piece laying around from a roll of wrapping paper, but you can use newspaper or cling wrap. 


Then the fun began....I pointed the sprayer away from the piece and started to spray and sprayed the mirror in strokes going with the grain of the wood. I forgot to buy the sprayer that attaches to the spray can and I started to get a cramp in my hand, so tomorrow I am heading back to Lowe's to purchase one. I did two coats letting it dry in between.



 I will finish my final coat tomorrow with the protective gloss spray tomorrow after my final coat dries.



 I will let you know how it all turns out.


No comments:

Post a Comment