Saturday, March 30, 2013

Healthy Turkey Spaghetti and Turkey Meatball Recipe

I can't take all the credit, this is my friends Italian great grandmother's recipe. They call it the Italian Scibilia Spaghetti and meatballs. I was never a spaghetti fan growing up...until I tasted this yummyness! My husband and son of 13 months also can't get enough. I make it usually when I have family gatherings or on a Sunday to have leftovers, we can get at least 3 meals out of it. I guarantee you will crave this dish once you taste it! It's that good.



You can of course make this will regular ground meat as well. I chose Turkey because I think it tastes great and healthier for you too.


Ingredients

Italian Scibilia Sauce
5 garlic cloves
3 small onions or 2 medium onions (sliced)
2 Italian zucchinis (sliced thin)
1 package of button mushrooms (sliced)
1- 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with juice (puree in blender)
2- 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes with juice
2- 6oz cans of tomato paste
4 Italian turkey sausage (out of casing)
3 tbsp of olive oil
garlic salt (eyeball to your preference)
Italian seasoning (eyeball)
pepper (eyeball)


Instructions

I like to prep and cut all my veggies ahead of time.






Add olive oil, garlic salt, and onion to pot. Saute until translucent and soft.



Add Italian turkey sausage out of casing to pot, stir and brown.



Add mushrooms and zucchini to pot and lightly saute.



Puree whole tomatoes (from can) into blender and then add to pot.


Add diced tomatoes (from can)
Add tomato paste.



Stir all together.
Add Italian seasoning, Garlic salt, and pepper to taste. I like to add a lot ;)


Bring to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer
Add Turkey Meatballs to sauce, cover, stir occasionally, and let it simmer for 1 hour.


My cheerleaders!






Italian Scibilia Meatball

2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs
either one 5oz wedge or 1 6oz package or shredded Romano cheese
1 minced or pressed garlic clove
1 cup of bread crumbs
garlic salt (eyeball)
Italian seasoning  (eyeball)
black pepper  (eyeball)


Instructions

Add all ingredients from above to mixing bowl.
 Combine really well.
 Roll into balls. I like them to be about 2" round, but you can do whatever your little heart desires. This is great for kids to do too!
Add them to the sauce once the sauce has boiled and you brought it down to simmer.
Cover pot and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.


I add 1 package of thin spaghetti noodles per instructions on the box.
I also add a loaf of garlic bread in the oven about 15 minutes before it's ready to be served.











ENJOY!






No comments:

Post a Comment